background

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Listen



This is something I truly believe. 
In all of our little one's hearts, everything is important, exciting, scary, funny, etc.
I always want to make sure I genuinely listen to & hear what my boys are saying.
Yes, I am their parent, but I also want to be their confidant.
Maybe not necessarily their "best friend", but someone they always feel they can confide in, without ridicule, without making them feel inferior.
I want them to know that no matter what, they can come to me, good or bad.
I want to know what's going on in their lives so when I do see them making not-so-good decisions, I can hopefully lead them to make better choices.
I want to teach them that even when they think no one is watching them, that God sees everything they do and say so that maybe, just maybe they will choose the right thing to do even when I'm not there to guide them in the right direction.

I always felt like I could go to my parents about anything.
Sure, when I was a teenager and thought I knew everything, I made lots of mistakes,
but because of the open relationship I had with
my parents and the guidance they had
given me when I was younger, I always found my way back to doing the right thing. 
Even as a young adult, I still made my share of mistakes, but once again because of
 always being able to talk with my parents,
I confided in them and they helped guide me home. 
Now, as a parent myself, I want to have the same kind relationship with my boys that I was able to have with my mama & daddy.

I was/am blessed with parents, although my daddy is in Heaven now, 
who listened to everything I had to say,
and I pray to be a blessing in each of my son's lives and that
they always know that they can talk to me
and I will honestly listen with love and
do my best to give them the best advice so that
they may grow into great, humble, productive, God-fearing men full of integrity. 

Of course, this is only one of so many things I pray to achieve
in my journey as their mama. ;)


Photobucket