background

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Put To Sleep

Thankfully, we celebrated Gentry's birthday on Sunday because on Monday, his actual birthday, we had to be in Savannah by 7:45 for Jubal to have some dental work done.  He had soft spots on a couple of his teeth and before they continued to get any worse and become actual cavities, his dentist wanted to repair them.

Jubal nor Gentry do well at the dentist for their regular checkups & cleanings, so his dentist recommended having him come into day surgery at St. Joseph's/Candler for the procedure to be done.  He said it would be easier on Jubal since it would take 2 to 3 visits to do it in his office, when he could do it all at one time with Jubal sedated.

My big boy just getting into Pre-Op, before meds.  
So sweet & happy.

Before meds.

I never did tell Jubal anything at all about this day prior to going.  I didn't want him to feel any type of anxiety about it.  Even when we were in Pre-Op, he was still unaware of what was going on.  I'm so happy I decided to keep him clueless, for lack of a better word.  He was in a great mood, and everyone was happy.

I was scared, though.  It terrified me to think about my baby being put to sleep.  So many things can happen.  You just never know.  There are things unforeseen that could happen to anyone, at any given time.  You know?  I will say, though, that once they gave him the medicine to sedate him before taking him into surgery, it gave me sort of a break in my tension.  He was hilarious!!

About 5 minutes after meds. Ha!


He couldn't stand up very well, and kept trying to crawl off the bed.  He put this hair net on, which made him look even sillier.  He would try to stand, but Larson would have to hold him because he was so unsteady.



He was giggly, and kept saying the funniest things.  He would look at me and say, "Mama, I love you.", then stick his tongue out and blow.  Then he kept trying to get to me, telling me he wanted to lick me.  Pure delirium, I tell ya!




Right before they took him back, he was good and sleepy.  He was still a little giggly, but by this time, he was ready to lie down and had calmed down tremendously.  Larson & I had to wait about an hour in the waiting room, before the doctor came out to get me to go into recovery with him.

Recovery was awful.  That's really all I'm going to say about that.  I will always have those moments in my head, but don't feel like sharing them here.  He was pitiful, and I hope that he never has to go through anything like that again, especially while he's so small.

Just before going back.

We were finally able to leave sometime after 1:00, once Jubal was able to either drink some juice or coke, or eat a popsicle.  He actually ate two popsicles before we left.  He still wasn't completely coherent when we left, but Larson rode in the back with him sleeping on his chest and a seatbelt across the two of them because Jubal wanted to be held, and that was fine.

Once we were home, we laid him down and he ended up sleeping until around 5:30.  When he woke up, he was hungry.  And I mean hungry.  Poor baby hadn't been able to eat anything since the night before, and when he had tried to eat something before falling asleep in the car, he asked me if food could come to life because his food was making him dizzy.  Ha!  That was the sedative/gas still having affect on him.

He ended up eating a ham sandwich, Cheetos, and 3 bowls of Fruity Pebbles.  Then he wanted to go out and shoot basketball, as if he hadn't been through anything at all that morning.

Later, after his bath, I was asking him about things that had happened in recovery, and he just looked at me and asked, "What are you talking about, Mama?"  I knew then that he had no recollection of anything after he had been sedated, before even going back & being put to sleep.  So I left it right there.  We haven't discussed anything about that day since.

I'm just thankful that all went well that day.  I'm thankful for good physicians/dentists, etc.  I'm thankful he doesn't remember it.  It's probably best that way. :)



Photobucket